Iowa providing assistance for employees, employers affected by COVID-19-related layoffs
March 17, 2020
Assistance for workers and employers affected by COVID-19-related layoffs in Iowa was announced by Governor Reynolds on March 16. Included in the guidance is information on unemployment insurance claims and available programs for employers like the Voluntary Shared Work program.
â€œIowa has incredible employers accommodating the needs of Iowans during the disruption caused by COVID-19,â€ said Gov. Reynolds. â€œThe state of Iowa is doing everything we can to ease the process and shorten the time it will take for Iowans to receive unemployment benefits. All of our state agencies continue to work as one team to lessen the impact COVID-19 will have on our economy and our people.â€
For more information on the release, visit iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov.
For employers to avoid charges to their account from Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) for COVID-19-related lay-offs, follow these instructions:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line must include ATTENTION #60
- List your business name
- List the contact name (owner, president, etc.)
- Include a brief note that lay-offs are due to COVID-19, and you are sending this notice to avoid a charge on your employer account
- Provide a list of employees being laid off with first and last name and last four digits of their Social Security number
Additional resources from IWD:
Employee COVID-19 Q & A:
Employer COVID-19 Q & A:
VSW COVID-19 Flyer