Illinois has extended the income tax filing and payment deadline to July 15, 2020, to match the federal postponement in light of COVID-19.
Important to note:
- Applies to all individual returns, trusts and corporations
- No extensions need to be filed, and interest and penalties are waived for the period
- Penalties and interest begins to accrue July 16, 2020
- First and second installments of estimated tax payments are still due April 15 and June 15 respectively
- Restaurants and bars are being granted extra time to pay sales taxes without penalties or interest for March, April and May over the course of four installments from May 20 through Aug. 20 – applies to those who incurred less than $75,000 in sales tax liabilities last year
For more information, visit https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/publications/bulletins/Documents/2020/FY2020-24.pdf